Friday, July 13, 2007

Rollyo vs Google Custom Search

Number 12 on the list of 23 things is to look at Rollyo (http://www.rollyo.com/). I remembered an email that I read last fall about Google's custom search engine (http://www.google.com/coop/cse/overview), which does pretty much the same thing as Rollyo. So, I decided to take a quick look at both of them. I much prefer the Google application over Rollyo.

The most striking and least appealing thing about Rollyo is the over abundance of red on the page. It hurts my eyes! True to its use of minimalist design, Google's custom search page is much cleaner and easier to look. I should mention that I developed a usability custom search engine on both of sites.

I also prefer Google because I already am using other Google applications (such as this blogging tool). I don't have to create another username or password. That is a big plus!

Beyond that it looks like both do pretty much the same thing. I will probably explore them more this weekend just for fun.

No comments: